Thursday, October 19, 2006

Return of the Jazz Apostate


Some are born critics, some become critics, and some have critical status thrust upon them. Or words to that effect. I'm somewhere between 2 and 3.

For six very happy months last year, I was the host of a jazz show. For two hours a week I was allowed to foist my taste on whoever happened to be listening to KCUR's Just Jazz. The health of the show's longtime hosts, Ginney Coleman and Ruth Roden, had put the future of the show in question and I offered to hold the fort until the station decided what to do with that portion of Sunday afternoon.

It was a very pleasant experience all the way round: I had access to new releases and what remains of the station's jazz library (which is still considerable). More importantly I had motivation to go to the library and do research on artists I only thought I knew about. I also had the chance to interview several great Kansas City jazz artists, including Alaadeen, The Aurora Consort and Dan Thomas. The show's format also allowed me to function as more of a jazz enabler than a jazz critic, because who needs that kind of pressure. And so it was with some regret that I gave up the gig when the station decided to retire the show last October.

Fast forward one year to last week Wednesday, my first appearance on Up to Date to talk about some recent jazz releases with the show's host Steve Kraske. I was introduced as "KCUR's Lee Ingalls" and we listened to some selections from and chatted amiably about the following:

Kenny Garrett - Beyond the Wall
(Nonesuch Records)
Pat Metheny & Brad Mehldau - Metheny/Mehldau (Nonesuch Records)
Roots - Sean Jones (Mack Avenue Records)
Live at Lincoln Center, Vol. 1 - Mulgrew Miller Trio (MAXJazz)

Have a listen if you like: It's in the Up to Date archives - the last 10 minutes of the show.

In the wrap-up, Kraske said something like "That's Up to Date's jazz critic Lee Ingalls." So now I'm a critic, I guess, but it'll take awhile for the suit to fit.

I'll be on again Nov ember 9 with more jazz to share. In the meantime, I'll plan to foist my taste on all four people who read this blog.

3 comments:

  1. Lee- I've never understood the KCUR radio archives. I'd like to save shows- including this one- as MP3s, so I can fast-forward as I wish or listen on a portable device. Is that an option?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your best bet is to sign for the podcast(s) of the show(s) you want. Here's the link. I'll also suggest that Up to Date break out their music segments with Robert Moore, Tim Finn and yours truly into separate click-ables.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still bummed about the Just Jazz show being cancelled. It was a highlite of my weekend.

    Thanks for the podcast link. You should add it to your links secton on the right.

    ReplyDelete