Thursday, October 12, 2006

Radio spotting

Today's my birthday, so I'm taking stock of the last year. The verdict: It was a pretty damn good year (for me personally, if not for the nation/world - definitely some general suckage to go around). Thanks to everyone who participated.

Much of that time was spent working as a copywriter for Kansas City's Union Station. My favorite part of the job -- by far -- was coming up with radio spots (aka, commercials). Before this my experience with commercials has been as one of the voices in them (listen to samples here). At Union Station, I had the chance to write and cast each one-minute play, and then (kind of) act as producer at the session.

We cut the spots at Evolution Audio here in KC with the invaluable direction of a wizard named Don Martin. Here are four I'm especially proud of, in no particular order.

Holiday Spirit: The Holiday Spirit Train - :60
Wherein we meet the Elves Grindleberry and Mirthella, who wish to ride the Holiday Spirit Train.

Holiday Spirit: Membership - :60
Wherein Grindleberry and Mirthella try to find out what they're getting for Christmas.

Holiday Spirit: New Year's Eve Party - :60
Wherein Grindleberry and Mirthella confront what it will take to get into a fabulous party..

Smithsonian's Sports: Bob & Jan - :60
One of those commercials where the guy is such an idiot you can hardly believe his wife hasn't poisoned his Rogaine®. But such is advertising. Great performances by two great KC actors: Brian Paulette and Sarah Crane.

1 comment:

  1. Yohhhhh! I feel like such a putz. I had no idea. Happy Birthday man. Lets get together for some birthday inebriation, I dont even know if that is a real word, but it sounds ok. Its about time for the bimonthly dinner, too! Holla at ya boy, boyeeee!

    ReplyDelete