Monday, October 23, 2006

Lions in Winter

I missed the McCoy Tyner show at the Gem last weekend. Too bad. From what I'm told, Tyner (who turns 68 in December) is still laying down some serious notes. Here he is ten years ago with a solo take on John Coltrane's Giant Steps.



I heard the Jazz Geek on KKFI yesterday refer to Tyner as a "senior citizen" and he meant it admiringly. This is true, technically. I'm sure the AARP has been after Tyner for 20 years. But it seems that if a musician attends to his or her corporeal self, 68 is still very much part of the prime.

Speaking of senior citizens, C and I caught Jim Hall at the Folly a few weeks back. Hall is coming up on 80 and while his gift and sensitivity were still very much in evidence, I fear his hearing may be in decline. I hope I'm wrong. Hall was performing with pianist Geoffrey Keezer who made everything work for me, prodding and supporting the elder statesman.

Here's a short interview with Keezer, talking about playing with Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment