Thursday, November 2, 2006

Turn, turn, turn

Ed moved to the Bay Area about six months after I did. Last I heard he was still there. He grew up in St. Joseph and was a year ahead of me in college. Over the years I'd bump into Ed, usually at one coffee shop or another.

We consistently had a particular exchange about the weather. I'd say that the weather in the Bay Area was boring, and Ed would shake his head and say, "What are you talking about? The weather here is great."

Ed meant that the climate was moderate, which is hard to deny. Average highs and lows are in a comfortable range and snow is extremely rare. The fog generally blows in to cool off even the hottest days.

What I meant was that the weather, as a backdrop to my day-to-day life, was pretty dull. And as a born-and-raised quadraseasonal, I found that the Bay Area's sempiternal quasi autumn made it easy for me to lose my temproal bearing. I lost track of three years somatically waiting for winter to arrive.

No fear of climate ennui now that I'm back in Missouri, particularly at this time of year. This week, for instance, we've already had a high a high of 72 (Monday) and a low last night of 23. Climate change is, as they say around here, a whole nuther thing.

Never a dull moment indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment