Monday, June 26, 2006

Never Trust the Man

The weather man, that is. Especially if he sounds like me.

If the Arbitron ratings are accurate, I spent Friday evening and Saturday morning assuring tens of thousands of listeners in the metro KC area that Saturday's forecast called for partly cloudy skies and a high temperature in the mid 80s.

Around 3:oo, I'm on the couch munching happily through Fluke, a very enjoyable novel about whales (and many other things) by Christopher Moore, when I hear a familiar rumble outside. I step out on the front porch and mutter words the FCC won't allow you to say on the radio because this is going on:



My dad, an avid weather watcher, has always fallen back on a maxim he heard for the first time in Texas: "Anyone who tries to predict the weather is either a fool or a damn yankee." Meteorology has come a long way, thankfully, but we are frequently still a bunch of damn yankees.

3 comments:

  1. Cats, dogs and Katie Horner! Nice job lying to us over the airwaves, Lee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only read what old man NOAA sends down the wire. From now on, I'm calling Katie Horner...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Lee. If it makes you feel any better, I turned on the local version of The Weather Channel in the midst of the downpour. Even as the thunder rolled, the smiling man assured me that it was another calm, sunny day in KC. I always suspected those folks were in a bunker outside of Albany.

    ReplyDelete