Thursday, June 1, 2006

The Global Toilet Report

Happy in Bag weighs in today on one of my favorite topics: cooties. Specifically public restroom cooties.

"Ladies, there are only two types of guys- those who wash their hands after they go to the bathroom, and those who don’t. The ratio is about fifty-fifty."

Frankly, I think he's being insanely generous with that estimate. Call me a cynic, but I'd put the figure at 90/10 for the unclean. This is especially true (if that's even possible) of white male business execs with whom I've had the misfortune of sharing public restspace. CEO = Cooties on Every Occassion.

Which make the Onawa, Iowa rest stop on I-29 a germophobe's delight. Once inside the gents' all you need touch is yourself and the soap dispenser: the toilets and urinals are on sensors, as are the sink and hot-air hand dryer. The doors are hung so you exit with a slight shove of the shoulder and find yourself unsullied under the tall Missouri Valley sky. (Yes, this whole post is an excuse to share this picture I took there two years ago.)

And now for the "global" part: check out this post from Lindsey, a UMKC student spending part of her summer break in China. Not for the excessively squeamish (you know who you are). Beware the small bucket!

1 comment:

  1. Everything's nicer in Iowa.

    Totally off-topic, Lee, but I'd love to get your opinion on the vocalist I posted about today at www.therestandstheglass.com.

    ReplyDelete