Monday, August 28, 2006

Waiting out the storm

When yesterday's big storm broke out I was inside Costco. My umbrella and rain jacket (?) were cleverly stashed in my truck a hundred yards away so I decided to wait for the rain to let up a little before making a dash. That was about 5 PM. Ten minutes later I went back inside for a berry smoothy and then took my post.

People came and went. Or tried to. It was a carnival of humanity with our best and worst traits on display.

People offered umbrellas to strangers. People ignored the Costco employees trying to make direct the chaotic flow of people, carts and cars. Some laughed and shrugged, some fumed and yelled at their kids. In general, the more expensive the car the worse the driver behaved.

A doofus in a big land crusher of some sort first practically drove through the doors, then he backed into a line of shopping carts being wheeled back to the store and without bothering to look raced of into the downpour.

My camera's battery was almost dead when I arrived, but here's a patched together minute from the 45 minutes I spent waiting.

1 comment:

  1. I love every aspect of this. Fifty years from now, cultural historians will be thanking you for this document.

    ReplyDelete