Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A daytrip at last

C and I found ourselves with no commitments on the Fourth of July so we jumped in the car to fulfill our patriot duty to fossil fuel. We made it to Parkville and Excelsior Springs and back by way of Liberty, North Kansas City and the West Bottoms.

More pictures: Here's a link to the Flickr set.

Highlights -

The Power Plant Brewery in Parkville, particularly the Colonel Park's India Pale Ale. However: I ordered a club sandwich that came grilled, resulting in sort of a Club Melt. Not what I expected but I ate it all.

The Elms in Excelsior Springs which was beautiful and, like the rest of ES, felt pretty vacant. The hollow reminder of the town's past as a thriving resort town is sad to see. Still, if there's any money left by then, I plan to check into the Elm's for some pampering.

Paleteria Tropicana on Southwest Blvd. - I can't find a link for this but it's 4 doors down from the corner of Summit. The popcicles (paletas) are so good they make you want to cry (the mango-chile ones really will) and a satidfying end to any meal or daytrip.

We sat outside in the heat and listened to the neighborhood explode. With a cold paleta and a hot wife, it felt good to be an American.

1 comment:

  1. I like how passing trains rattle that Parkville restaurant.

    ReplyDelete