Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Whereabouts


The decent fellow who poses as the crusty blogger XO recently posted a post about the lessons he's learned in two years of blogging. They're worth reading, as is XO, generally. So go ahead and do that some time.

My point in posting today (and I purposely waited a day so this wouldn't come off as an April Fool's post) is to fess up to breaking Lesson #9:
Lesson #9 - POST! To paraphrase an old axiom "Bloggers blog." No one is going to add you to their Google Reader if you only post a couple of times a year. WRITE GODDAMNIT! Nobody is going to read a blog that only gets updated when the seasons change.
This brings up several issues:
  • I don't know if you can "break" a lesson, but I respect your pedantry.
  • It hadn't occurred to me that I might be on anyone's Google Reader.
  • Spellcheck notwithstanding, I support the presence of the N in "GODDAMNIT!" I also support pronouncing the N sound which results in a satisfying Yosemite Sam impersonation if you say the word with sufficient vim.
  • I wholeheartedly support Yosemite Sam impersonations. And adverbs.
  • I actually have been writing quite a bit recently, although most of it has been on paper, which seems deliberately obscurantist but wasn't intended as such. It's just that I still have a thing for pens and paper. I'd take an hour in a good stationers over a museum anytime.
  • There have been numerous things posted over at Oddment of Sandwiches, but let's face it that thing really isn't technically a blog, but more of a sheep in blog's clothing.
Still, it would have been considerate of me to inform all five of my readers when I felt this most recent hiatus coming on.

So, sorry about that. And as they used to say on the Carson show: More to come.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks to Google Reader I know that you posted! How's Chicago treating you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apart from the weather, it's been treating me dandy. But the glaciers appear to be receding from Lake Michigan and within a month I'll be living a few L stops from Wrigley Field (or whatever they decide to call it next). Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back from the dead, ya ol' zombie! And I mean that in the good way.

    "The decent fellow who poses as the crusty blogger XO..."

    Actually, I'm pretty sure I'm a crusty blogger posing as a decent fellow. At least that's how it feels most days.

    "...I respect your pedantry."

    That's all I can ask of my fellow citzens. Thank you for your support.

    "It hadn't occurred to me that I might be on anyone's Google Reader."

    You're on mine, buddy. And apparently Spyder's.

    "I support the presence of the N in "GODDAMNIT!" I also support pronouncing the N sound which results in a satisfying Yosemite Sam impersonation if you say the word with sufficient vim."

    Thank you! I couldn't agree more! In return, I also support the use of the word "vim" whenever applicable. And I must add, using the word vim without sticking a "vigor" in there somewhere shows remarkable discipline and restraint. But I expect no less from a professional of your stature.

    "It's just that I still have a thing for pens and paper. I'd take an hour in a good stationers over a museum anytime."

    Good lord, man. Now I know what I'm getting you for Christmas. A clay tablet and a stick. Enjoy. Go nuts.

    Actually, if my handwriting hadn't atrophied so much over the last few decades, I too would enjoy the tactile pleasures of drawing an ink-filled nib across handcrafted parchment in a cleverly embossed leatherbound journal.

    Oddment is also on my Google Reader and you need to post more often over there too.

    I love those minimalist stories.

    Welcome back, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vim and vigor are like Donny and Marie: much easier to take separately.

    Don't forget to bubblewrap that clay tablet. They're much too delicate, too sensitive. (And yes, that is another Looney Tunes reference.)

    ReplyDelete