Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Awarded

I made a brief trip back to Kansas City last weekend (by train - more on that later), to tie up a few loose ends from our recent move and also to collect an award. The Kansas City Association of Black Journalists selected a piece I produced about urban farmer Joe Jennings as best radio feature.

As is so often the case, it came down to luck. I was lucky to have come across Mr. Jennings during my brief-candle stint as producer of the Walt Bodine Show in the summer of 2006. I didn't have room for him on an urban agriculture show, but he was such a great talker that I kept him in my mental reminder file. Then last June, I spent part of day trying to keep up with him at his place in Wyandotte County. When it came time to put the piece together, the trick was staying out of his way. I was pleased with the results and apparently so was the KCABJ.

Have a listen for yourself:


Mr. Jennings is an award winner himself. The Pitch named him Best Urban Farmer in this year's Best of KC issue. Congrats, Mr. J!

Extra linkage:
KC Star story about the KCABJ awards (which featured a KCUR sweep of the radio category)

4 comments:

  1. I bet they were surprised when you walked in to claim the award. Because on the radio, you sound black. LOL!

    Seriously, nice work and congratulations!

    I look forward to hearing about the train trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, Lee. You should be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a million, blog folks! A few buttons did need to sewn back on.

    ReplyDelete