Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Up for an eclipse?


eclipse
Originally uploaded by WoogglyBooggly.
For the last year, my job has involved getting up at an unspeakably early hour (OK, I'll type it: 3:30 AM). And today - finally! - it paid off.

I got up as bleary eyed as usual and began the daily routine. At some point, I noticed that C and the dogs were headed downstairs. Then I remembered: the eclipse. A ragged shadow was just creeping across the top of the visible moon when I made it downstairs. We took turns using the binoculars while the dogs hunted cicadas attracted to the yardlight.

There was just a sliver of reflected sunlight visible by the time I made it to work. I passed Terry from the cleaning crew on my way in and asked him if he'd seen the eclipse. Apparently he hadn't even heard about it. So we went back outside for a look at the ghostly rufous orb (sorry, English major).

A young guy was walking south on Troost, headed home I assume. He saw us gawking and swung his head that over that way, and did a full-body flinch at the sight of the huge red ball hanging over the Plaza. Can't say as I blame him. It was quite a sight.

-----
Thanks to Flickr user WoogglyBooggly in St. Louis for posting the beautiful image above. It's pretty much what I saw, give or take 250 miles.

Also: My co-way-too-early-in-the-morning-worker Michael and I also wandered out for a look. He has this take on his MySpace blog.

2 comments:

  1. OK. Here is the "Amazing Lee Ingalls Fact Of The Day" for me.

    How do you even know that jazz exists if you have to wake up at 3:30 in the morning?

    Are there a bunch of stealth-jazz-venues hidden at Denny's and Waids throughout the metro where you can get a country fried steak and a jazz-band-combo that starts at 6:00pm and is over by 8?

    How you do dat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. True dat. I generally pass the jazz folks on their way back home. Thank whomever for this internet thing. And naps.

    ReplyDelete