Friday, March 30, 2007

Jib Jab nails one



I'm generally not a fan of topical humor set to music. As a loyal public radio monkey it pains me to say it, but The Capital Steps make me want to barf. And much as I love the multi-character political sketches Harry Shearer does on Le Show, his musical numbers bring the same pre-vomitous response to my gorge.

The problem? The chorus. Comdey depends on surprise (among other things) and when you repeat a chorus, the listener knows what's coming and you lose momentum and end up having to pump air back into the bit.

Not with the JibJab above. The part that repeats is blessedly brief and something new always leads up to it. (And all the animated clevage doesn't hurt either.)

End of dweeby comedy-theory pedantry.

2 comments:

  1. I sometimes wonder if "personalities" such as Nancy Grace are perpetrating sordid crimes just to have fresh "news" fodder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee INGALLS, of course ... Sylvia must've passed the link around. Nice pictures over at Oddment of Sandwiches, btw.

    ReplyDelete