Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Not the next top model

Over the weekend I got a call from my talent agency. They said someone wanted to use me for a print campaign. This was odd because no one has ever wanted to use me in this way before, and doubly odd because I hadn't even been to a "go-see" (the modeling equivalent of an audition: you "go" and they "see"). But the money they were offering endeared soothed my puzzlement.

The client was a large gaming concern and the ads were going to appear only in the Northeast. The role, so to speak, would call for me to enjoy eating sushi in clothes "a step up from casual." I've actually done this, so the research was going to be minimal.

Well, the whole thing turned into a big fuck nugget and I found out at the last minute that the project had "gone another direction," specifically a direction away from where I was figuratively standing. All this after I'd made arrangements with my boss to cover me at work, ironed shirts, trimmed nose hair, etc.

What I was looking forward to even more, yes more, than the paycheck was the possibility surprising friends and acquaintances of mine in the Northeast. I pictured them jumping on or off a train, or stuck in traffic and noticing a poster or (why not think big) a billboard with me a eating sushi and wondering to themselves, "Wait a second, doesn't that look like..."

That's as close as I'm likely to get to staging a Krzysztof Kieslowski moment. Possibly hearing about it later: Priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment